Re: package query

On 8/21/07, Mihamina (R12y) Rakotomandimby
<mihamina.rakotomandimby@etu.univ-orleans.fr> wrote:

> This is a non-free software:
> http://ftp.penguin.cz/pub/users/utx/amr/
>
> These are some utilities to encode to 3gp video format.
> Would you know if some one who knows packaging has done something with
> those tarballs?

Such information can be found here:

http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/

Looks like no-one has packaged it.

No packages listed on apt-get.org either.

Here is some information relevant to getting new packages into Debian:

http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html

Some suggestions:

Before packaging it, ask upstream to release it under a DFSG-free licence.

> I would like to join the team, if any...

Probably the most relevant team is debian-multimedia:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia

Anyway, I believe that ffmpeg can encode amr/3gp:

$ ffmpeg -formats | grep 3g
  E 3g2             3gp2 format
  E 3gp             3gp format
 DE amr             3gpp amr file format
 D  mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 QuickTime/MPEG4/Motion JPEG 2000 format

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise