Re: unable to build gdb from source

I demand that Kamaraju S Kusumanchi may or may not have written...

> Can some one tell me what I am doing wrong here? I am unable to build gdb
> from source on a machine running sid. I did

> $apt-get source gdb
> $cd gdb-6.6.dfsg/
> $ dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot

> The build log is attached in this email. [...] Any ideas on why this is
> happening? Should I file a bug?

>From your build log:

  rmdir /home/raju/downloaded packages source/gdb-6.6.dfsg/objdir
  rmdir: /home/raju/downloaded: No such file or directory
  rmdir: packages: No such file or directory
  rmdir: source/gdb-6.6.dfsg/objdir: No such file or directory

Your problem is a combination of unquoted strings and spaces in
file/directory names; specifically, "downloaded packages source". Renaming
that directory so that its name contains no spaces (actually, no characters
which have special meaning to the shell) will be enough to work around the

|   Let's keep the pound sterling

Take my advice, I'm not using it right now.