Re: Creating Source Packages

On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 11:13:06AM +1000, Brendon Costa wrote:
> I have been looking on the web, but have found little in the way of
> tutorials on how to create a debian source package. I have created a
> binary package for my project (EDoc++: http://edoc.sourceforge.net/),
> but want to create a source package and then build the binary one from this.
>
> Does anyone here know of a link where there is information on doing this
> sort of thing? I couldn't believe google didn't come up with anything as
> I am sure this is a VERY common way of creating debian packages.

It's *really* common -- pretty much every upload into Debian has to provide
the source package.  You just run 'dpkg-buildpackage -S' in the unpacked
tree and it'll do all the usual "dpkg-buildpackage" kind of things and
produce a source package including a .changes file.  If you want to get a
bit lower level, 'dpkg-source -b <dir>' will just build the diff/dsc.

Manpages, as usual, will give you all the dirty details.

- Matt