Re: quilt, cdbs, dpatch, but is there even simpler ?

Hi,

> > > For the moment I use dpatch, but is is a slight work overhead since it
> > > is needed to convert patches to dpatches,
> >
> > Are you sure, this is necessary? AFAIK the comments and shell commands
> > are optional.
>
> Comments are optional but the first line is needed now as:
> #! /bin/sh /usr/share/dpatch/dpatch-run
>
> I had the same impression as yours.
>
> I guess changing following 2 lines should fix situation.
>
> line 416: test -x ${patch} || chmod +x ${patch}
> line 434: if eval ${patch} -patch ${wd} ${redir} ${stamp}.new 2>&1; then
>
> I guess drop 416 and run dpatch-run in 434.
>
> Probably, deapply needs fix too.
>
> I do not know this is caused by some design decision or not.  (CCing to current
> active maintainer)

Yeah, I guess it was a design decision.  If I follow your advise, I
will break those tools that do not run dpatch-run. Most of the
original dpatch scriptlets contained shell scripts which
applied/deapplied themselves.

I read the manual, and apparently there is a simple way to create
dpatch scriptlets (man dpatch):

   Creating dpatch scriptlets

       There are many ways to create dpatch scriptlets. They are
       simple, executable files, which follow a standardised calling
       convention (documented in dpatch(7)).

       You can fire up your $EDITOR, or use dpatch-edit-patch, and you
       should be all set.

       For most cases, where the dpatch file is only to apply a simple
       patch, there is an even easier way:

              dpatch patch-template -p "01_some_patch" "A random patch" \
                   <random.diff >debian/patches/01_some_patch.dpatch

regards,
	junichi
--
dancer@{debian.org,netfort.gr.jp}   Debian Project