Re: Broken uploads to mentors.debian.net

On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 10:41:57PM +0200, Christoph Haas wrote:
> I have no good explanation for the situation Neil mentioned though. The
> package maintainer must have uploaded a package with an orig tarball.
> But then the orig tarball was changed and an upload without an orig
> tarball was done that mentioned the orig tarball though.
>
> How come the .dsc file mentions an orig file that is not uploaded? All
> files mentioned in the .dsc file must be uploaded. I'm confused.

No they don't.  All the files mentioned in a .changes get uploaded, because
the .changes represents the changes made to the archive (hence the name).
In contrast, a .dsc describes a particular Debian source package.  If
someone builds a Debian source package with a different .orig.tar.gz to
another source package (of the same source package name and upstream
version), then you'll get a different .orig.tar.gz mentioned in the .dsc.
What happens from there is a matter for whatever is processing the .dsc
after that.

>From a personal perspective, I think m.d.n should work as close to
ftp-master as possible.  If you want to keep the ability to have people take
multiple stabs at a single package revision, then at the very least, .dsc
files should be verified after upload and if the sums don't *all* match or
one of the files in the .dsc is missing, the upload is rejected.  That would
solve Neil's problem, at the very least.

- Matt