Re: How much "free" must a package be to be included in non-free (was: Re: CC by-SA 3.0 is DFSG-free?)

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 10:43:05PM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> Can anybody explain how packages go into non-free? I mean: how much free
> the package has to be to be considered to non-free and which issues are
> blocker that would forbid the package into entering non-free?
You/we have to be able to legally distribute it. A binary-only
distribution agreement may mean it can go in non-free, but a binary-only
agreement which says you must download it from a specific website could
not (but you could make a contrib installer in that case).

I only recall acrobat, or rather the installer for the reader, being in
contrib.

The problem is that non-free can be there for many reasons.  Most of the
licenses used in those packages are just plain awful and probably more
restrictive than intended.  That's why working out if a package can go
into non-free, or cannot be distributed at all, is often very hard. I'd
say it is harder to do than the main/non-free decision.

 - Craig

--
Craig Small      GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
http://www.enc.com.au/                             csmall at : enc.com.au