How much "free" must a package be to be included in non-free (was: Re: CC by-SA 3.0 is DFSG-free?)

Hi there.

On Jun 30 2007, Hideki Yamane wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 22:19:23 -0400
> Simon <simon80@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Even if it's not DFSG free, it can still go into non-free, right?
>
>  I hope so.

Can anybody explain how packages go into non-free? I mean: how much free
the package has to be to be considered to non-free and which issues are
blocker that would forbid the package into entering non-free?

This discussion seems to be a gray area to me. For instance, I see that
we may have ffmpeg included in debian (in main), while some other
multimedia packages are not even considered to be packaged.

In the past, we had netscape 4.x in non-free (and, if memory serves me,
acrobat reader). But, on the other hand, we can't have qmail in the
archives (only a package that compiles it---well I guess that I
understand this particular case, since DJB doesn't allow any variation
in layout of what he has stablished).

But now, if we have want to have something like this, we have to resort
to extra repositories.

Any comments and links to documentation that clears this gray area are
quite welcome.

Thanks, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/