Re: RFS: gimmie

Thierry Randrianiriana schrieb:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "gimmie".
>
> * Package name    : gimmie
>  Version         : 0.2.7-1
> Upstream Authors:
>      Alex Graveley <alex@beatniksoftware.com>
>      David Trowbridge <trowbrds@gmail.com>
>      Mike Hearn <mike@plan99.net>
>      Tony Tsui <tsui.tony@gmail.com>
> * URL             : http://www.beatniksoftware.com/gimmie
> * License         : LGPL
>  Section         : gnome
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> gimmie     - elegant desktop organizer
>
> The package is lintian clean.
>
> The upload would fix these bugs: 415937

> main contrib non-free
> - dget
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/gimmie/gimmie_0.2.7-1.dsc

Hi Thierry,

the package looks well done, I only have some smaller points:
1.) Package description
gimmie seems to be a replacement/enhancement of the traditional (GNOME)
panel and it can either be run in standalone mode or as applet in the
GNOME panel. This information is somehow missing in the description.
2.) The second paragraph in the long descriptions does not show nicely
in aptitude. The separate points are not correctly wrapped and thus it
gets a bit unreadable.
3.) python-support
IIRC the recommended way to specify the supported python versions with
python-support is debian/pyversions [1]. But as python-support also
supports the XS-Python-Version field, you can also keep it as is.
4.) ./configure checks for a couple of python modules like gmenu etc,
which are are not added to the the Depends list of gimmie. Could you
elaborate on that? Should these python modules be added to the list of
runtime dependencies?
5.) debian/copyright
gdm-logout-action.c is missing
6.) inlined copy of libsexy
gimmie uses a inlined copy of libsexy. I would very much prefer if
gimmie could be made to use the system libsexy. See [2] for more
details. Maybe you can also forward this information to upstream.

If you can address the above issues, I'll gladly sponsor your package.

Cheers,
Michael

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPython/NewPolicy
[2] http://www.chipx86.com/blog/?p=205