Re: shared libraries and _REENTRANT

Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 02:11:25PM -0400, Felipe Sateler wrote:
>> Policy 10.2 says we must compile shared libraries with -D_REENTRANT:
>>
>>> You must specify the gcc option -D_REENTRANT when building a library
>>> (either static or shared) to make the library compatible with
>>> LinuxThreads.
>> However, LinuxThreads has been superseeded by NPTL. Is this still necessary?
> I think Michael Kerrisk of man-pages upstream may have wondered the
> same thing?

Yes, as far as I've ever known (but my knowledge of requirements on early
Linux is thin), "cc -pthread" is sufficient, since it is equivalent to
"cc -lpthread -D_REENTRANT"

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk
maintainer of Linux man pages Sections 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7

Want to help with man page maintenance?  Grab the latest tarball at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/manpages/
read the HOWTOHELP file and grep the source files for 'FIXME'.