Building for different architectures

Hi all Mentors,
I'm trying to port to Debian the "command-not-found" package from
Ubuntu, which suggests the installation of a package when the shell
(bash or zsh) can't find an executable (i.e.: it avoid that "command
not found" message). More info on [1].

What I've done is getting the list of all executables from all
platforms Debian runs on (I've got the Contents-<arch>.gz files and
scanned them with a Bash script).

The Ubuntu package ships a "command-not-found-data" package, which
contains _all_ the data from the four architectures Ubuntu supports
(powerpc, i386, amd64 and sparc). I think it's a waste of space
installing also binary databases for architectures different from the
one cnf is being installed on. So I edited debian/control to have
different command-not-found-<arch>, which Provides:
command-not-found-data, while this one Depends: on
command-not-found-<arch1> | command-not-found-<arch2> | ...
The problem is, when I try to build the package, dpkg-gencontrol says:

dpkg-gencontrol: error: current build architecture i386 does not appear
in package's list (alpha)

(obviously, it was reading the debian/control section about
command-not-found-alpha)

I can't actually think of any way to get this done. I'd like to avoid
the all-in-one solution, because the data for each architecture is
around 3,5-4Mb -- the data for _all_ archs is 47Mb. Any idea?

Kind regards,
David

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommandNotFoundMagic

--