Re: ITR: libhttp

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 15:11:43 -0500
"Richard A. Johnson" <nixternal@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 30 May 2007, you wrote:
> [snip]
> | Hmm. I'm not sure about the package name - http is a VERY crowded
> | namespace and a lot of users would assume some kind of Apache
> | connection with this package.
>
> I went ahead and renamed it libemhttp and added the -dbg and
> emhttp-tools as well.

Great, thanks.

> | It would be VERY handy to convert that txt file into the simplest of
> | HTML and link to it from the homepage. (It's also v.long for a txt
> | file so it would be best to split it into general, usage, history
> | and API pages). Nothing fancy, just wrap in <html><body>
> | few <h1></h1> lines.
>
> Just so you know this isn't my library or my site, so I can't do that
> with the http.txt file, what I did though was add it to the
> description.

That's fine - just mention it to upstream when you get a chance.

> Name is fixed, but there may be some more things yet to fix. This is
> my first library package and I am super new to this.

The New Maintainer Guide does hint that libraries are not usually the
best packages to pick. ;-)

Don't worry though - my first upstream package and my first Debian
package, even before NM, were libraries. :-)

> [snip]
> | The other problem is that you appear to make this CPU-specific - I
> | think this should be made much clearer. Exactly which CPU's are
> | supported and which are not?
>
> I have the Architecture set to any. It builds out on i386 and amd64
> here.

Check with upstream - the text file does appear to use some
CPU-specific code, or at least describes the usage of such code.

> I am using CDBS. First time actually and I never realized just how
> easy it makes things.

:-)

I know lots of DD's dislike CDBS but for those going to DebConf, be
aware that I am strongly in favour of CDBS for any package that has a
remote chance of being cross-built. Nothing is easier to cross-build
than CDBS.

> Neil, I appreciate your help and your possible sponsorship once this
> package is ready. If you have anymore comments, questions, or
> concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

OK, I'm reviewing the package tonight.

--

Neil Williams