getting the version of a package in the rules file.

Hello Mentors,

When ran in the shell or in a $$() construct,
dpkg-parsechangelog | grep Ver | perl -ne '/\s(.*?)\-/ ; print $1'
gives me the upstream version number of my package.

Howerver, the following expression does not work as expected in
debian/rules:

VERSION=$(shell (dpkg-parsechangelog | grep Ver | perl -ne '/\s(.*?)\-/ ; print $1'))

Apparently, the perl oneliner returns the whole string. Is there a
cleaner method to get the upstream version number in debian/rules ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org