Re: Prompt to install missing software?

On Sun, 27 May 2007 18:38:51 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:

> John Pye <john@curioussymbols.com> writes:
>
>> It just strikes me that there is a level of automation that would be
>> really pretty simple to implement: "click here to install the
>> missing package".
>
> This makes the invalid assumption that the user who receives this
> dialogue box is in a position to install software. That's not the case
> in a great variety of use cases for Debian.

Exactly. You need a way to:

- Download the files (with a GUI),
- Check their signatures,
- Store them somewhere (ideally where all users can share them, but
without requiring users to trust each other),
- Check for updates from time-to-time (ideally in the background).

You can do this using Zero Install:

  http://0install.net/

--
Dr Thomas Leonard		http://rox.sourceforge.net