Re: Prompt to install missing software?

> > I have a PyGTK-based program that has an optional dependency on the
> > package python-matplotlib.
> >
> > Is there any way under Debian (and hopefully also Ubuntu) that I can
> > trigger gtk-debi or something like that when the user requests to use
> > the part of my program that depends on stuff they haven't installed yet?
> > What would be the best way of doing that from python, if such a thing
> > exists?
> >
> That seems like too much work.  Why not just document the optional
> dependencies.  Additionally, if the features are that nice to have why
> not make the packages which provide the functionality Recommended?

According to the policy Recommends "declares a strong, but not absolute,
dependency.

The Recommends field should list packages that would be found together
with this one in all but unusual installations." [1]

Which IMO is clearly not the case here. Many users probably won't need
that particular feature.

Regards Ben

[1]
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-binarydeps