Re: RFS2: eqonomize -- personal accounting software for the small household economy

Hi Erik,

On Thursday 17 May 2007, Erik Schanze wrote:
> I intend to sponsor your package, but IMO there is something to do.

Thanks for your offer! I've uploaded an updated package based on your comments
to:
http://frank.thomas-alfeld.de/download/debian/eqonomize/
http://frank.thomas-alfeld.de/download/debian/eqonomize/eqonomize_0.4-1_i386.changes

> First, I'm not a friend of many changes outside of ./debian in
> *.diff.gz. Please check, if you could reduce that.

What do you mean? There are no changes outside of ./debian:
diffstat -p1 eqonomize_0.4-1.diff.gz
 debian/changelog                      |   24 +
 debian/compat                         |    1
 debian/control                        |   36 ++
 debian/copyright                      |   95 ++++++
 debian/eqonomize-doc.install          |    1
 debian/eqonomize.examples             |    1
 debian/eqonomize.install              |    3
 debian/eqonomize.menu                 |    9
 debian/examples/housekeeping_book.eqz |   38 ++
 debian/icons/eqonomize-16.xpm         |  164 +++++++++++
 debian/icons/eqonomize-32.xpm         |  494
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 debian/manpages/eqonomize.xml         |  185 ++++++++++++
 debian/rules                          |   25 +
 debian/watch                          |    2
 14 files changed, 1078 insertions(+)

> The doc package is licensed under GFDL. I think, you should check and
> then explicitly state in debian/copyright that there are no
> "Invariant Sections, Front-Cover Texts and Back-Cover Texts" to make
> in easy to see it is free.

Isn't it enough that the eqonomize handbook includes this notice:

"Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under
the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or any later
version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant
Sections, with no Front-Cover Texts, and with no Back-Cover Texts."

The same notice is in debian/copyright. If it would include e.g. Invariant
Sections this notice wouldn't state that it doesn't, right?

> Remove the text of the GFDL and point
> to /usr/share/common-licenses/GFDL-1.2 instead.

Done.

> It would be helpful for a new user, if you could add some examples.
> I think it's better to start with examples than an empty account.
> What do you think?

Almost all applications start with an empty document and I think eqonomize
shouldn't be an exception here, however an example document is a nice idea
and I've added a small one
as /usr/share/doc/eqonomize/examples/housekeeping_book.eqz.

Thanks,
Frank
--
"Die beiden Männer sonnten sich in dem herrlichen Gefühl, weitaus
weniger zu wissen als gewöhnliche Leute, die nur von gewöhnlichen