Re: Linux-Debian Chat Messenger Retroshare

On Sat, 12 May 2007 10:13:31 +0200
"Conny Kramer" <conny_kramer@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello,

To use mentors.debian.net, you need to create the Debian package
yourself and then post the details of that package including the
location of the .dsc file that can be downloaded. The upstream source
(e.g. from sourceforge) is not sufficient.

If you are not willing or unable to create a Debian package yourself,
or if you are unwilling or unable to be responsible for maintaining and
updating this package within Debian, you should file a RFP bug against
the wnpp package. If someone is sufficiently interested, they can then
prepare a Debian package. If necessary, they can also create an RFS
request on this list.

.dsc = A signed text file giving details of the Debian package along
with the names of the source tarball, the dependencies and the list of
packages built from the source.

RFS = Request for Sponsor. A formal request, using a template from
mentors.debian.net, setting out the full details of the package. e.g.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2007/05/msg00022.html

RFP = Request for Package. A bug report made against the wnpp (work
needed and prospective packages) pseudo-package in the Debian bug
tracking system. See http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/ or this example
of an RFP bug: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=411039

> there is a package for a serverless Linux Chat Messenger.

You describe a sourceforge source package but I don't see any binary
Debian package details. You need to make the source into a Debian
package first: http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/

> Can you add it?

No.

> I cannot do that.

If you can prepare a package, someone here might be interested in
uploading it for you. Remember that you will remain responsible for
this package in Debian. You cannot expect Debian to look after it for
you. All bugs in this package become your responsibility - various
people in Debian can help you and some bugs would need to be fixed by
the people working on the sourceforge project but it is the job of the
maintainer (you) to liaise with these people to get the bugs fixed.

> > > - a good way for Chinese people to communicate for free speech
> > >   ( http://retroshare.sourceforge.net/cn_index.html )
> > > - Debian etch & sarge installers, as well Linux installer scripts
> > > - available in more then 15 languages (chinese simple and trad, jap,
> > > korea as well)
> > > - as well a Windows installer is available.
> > >
> > > Can anyone put this into the debian distribution?

Providing a debian package upstream is usually a bad idea because the
people behind the sourceforge project (upstream) are not usually able
to maintain the package in Debian.

It isn't simply a case of putting it into Debian - it has to be
maintained.

It isn't a case of using upstream "installer scripts" whatever those
may be, you need to create a Debian package.

Have you created an account for yourself at http://mentors.debian.net ?

--

Neil Williams