Re: RFC: zfs-fuse packaging

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 12:04:57AM +0000, The Fungi wrote:
> On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 07:10:48PM -0400, Bryan Donlan wrote:
> [...]
> > primitives are available for sparc64 as well, but this doesn't
> > seem to be an architecture supported by debian - or does it have a
> > different name?
> [...]

> Debian's sparc port supports 64-bit on capable hardware, to my
> knowledge. You just need an appropriate kernel and libs installed
> (kernel-image-2.6-sparc64, libc6-sparc64, et cetera).

The sparc port is a 32-bit userspace, predominantly on 64-bit hardware using
a 64-bit kernel.  libc6-sparc64 is only if you need to build 64-bit
binaries, which is usually only the case if you have particularly large
memory requirements.  If all you want is to be able to use atomic
instructions only available in 64-bit sparc processors, you don't even have
to build your binaries as 64-bit -- but given that Debian still (for the
moment) supports 32-bit sparcs too, building your binaries as 64-bit has the
one advantage that this would pick up a dependency on libc6-sparc64 to make
it clear to sparc users that it's not suitable for 32-bit machines.