Re: Copyright issues GPL-PHP license

On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 06:26:01PM +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> On Sunday 6 May 2007 17:43, David Paleino wrote:
> > Now, as Steve Langasek pointed out in that bug report:

> > "PHP is GPL-incompatible. You cannot distribute GPL software together with
> > GPL-incompatible software that it depends on without a license exemption
> > from the copyright holder of the GPL software."

> Although it's usually safe to assume that Steve Is Right, I think he's made a
> mistake in this specific case.

I agree! ;)  FWIW, in terms of the text of the GPL, I don't think there's
any clear line that would make interpreters "safe" from license
contamination by GPL scripts; but in practice we seem to have plenty of
examples of GPLed PHP apps already in the archive, so this wouldn't be
grounds for excluding one more that I can see.

>From a "CYA" perspective, it would still be optimal to get the copyright
holder's explicit statement that this kind of distribution is permitted.

Cheers,