Re: RFS: pdf-smp

On Saturday 21 April 2007 21:06:13 Neil Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:38:06 +0200
>
> egregorion <egregorion@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > IMHO these desktop files would be MUCH better in the respective
> > > command-line packages where a Recommends: is clearly appropriate. I
> > > see no reason for two desktop files to create yet another Debian
> > > package.
> > >
> > > Instead, get these desktop files added to each pdf package and make
> > > each pdf package (pdftk and pdfjam) Recommend: konqueror.
> >
> > IMHO I don't like this way, if I'am a nautilus user, I don't need a
> > desktop files that don't are usefull for me... Other my opinion, If I
> > want only the command line set of utilities, why put files that are
> > not used?
>
> When the files concerned are as tiny as these it is no more of a
> problem than adding an extra few lines to the ChangeLog of libxml2 or
> glibc. i.e. the effect is inconsequential - except on embedded systems
> but Emdebian has ways to solve issues like that.

Emdebian .... I'm  very sorry, I think write at wrong mailing-list.
I would write at debian-mentors mailing-list.

> > In gnome, it is not possible work with pdf files.
>
> I'm sorry??? I hope I know what you meant there - you meant via the
> right click. I prefer Gnome just because it doesn't overuse the right
> click and I can do everything I need to do with a PDF in Gnome (and
> that does not include attachments of any kind or watermarks - I've no
> idea why those would be useful to me).

Please tell me one software, only one, in graphic mode (kde gnome xfce and
anything) for modify pdf files. With left click too. I don't know.
This software is not for you only, but for all.
I'm not use embedded system, then emdebian is useless for me .... no, this is
not correct for me. I can't know what you spek.
Debian is not only gnome or left click. Do you like center click? no? use you
a apple mouse? :-)

> > In kde, and I hope in gnome soon if I'll have time, is possible
> > modify pdf with this desktop files.
>
> Personally, I see no need for this "functionality" in Gnome - if I want
> to fiddle with a PDF, I load a program that can do the job, not expect
> the file manager to do it. This "options for the sake of options" thing
> in KDE is exactly why I moved away from KDE originally. There have been
> quite enough flamewars about Gnome vs KDE so I'll agree to disagree.

You load a program? Which program? in console mode? ok
You make flamewars about gnome vs kde. why?
I use both desktop env. If you not like kde not use kde but not tell me wich
you don't like right click etc. I'm not interessed about this.
this package is not for gnome at this moment.

> > In graphic mode there are zero option for work with pdf
>
> I've had no problems so far but there you go

You haved no problem because you not work with pdf in graphic mode. :-)

> .
>
> > > In which case, pdftk and pdfjam can also include desktop files for
> > > nautilus at a later stage.
> >
> > Following your way, is "nautilus-actions-misc.deb" wrong?
>
> For "fundamental" actions that all users will need it would be OK -
> having said that, I don't have it installed and haven't missed it yet.
>
> :-)
> :
> > ok, so in conclusion, I can change the name of the package, but I'll
> > not find any sponsor? I've made a try... :)
>
> Yes, I tend to skip sponsorship of KDE packages simply because I
> dislike KDE and don't use it (so can't really tell if the package
> 'fits' with the rest of KDE). Besides, my main interest is embedded or
> small utilities that could fit an embedded role and currently,
> embedded tends to concentrate more on Gtk than Qt (you don't get the
> option of a mix of both on a system with 30Mb of storage - yes
> you really can run a version of Gnome in 30 megabytes, not gigabytes).

???

> I've always rated a small executable size higher than lots of
> unused functionality (i.e. bloat) in my own programming, so KDE really
> just doesn't 'fit' with what I want from my work or desktop. It means I
> don't look at sponsoring that many packages (one a month or so) but
> then I am too busy with Emdebian and my own upstream/native packages to
> do lots and lots of sponsoring anyway. I just lurk on mentors and keep
> an eye out for the few RFS requests that peek my interest.

Compliments
I'm very busy with my friends, my guitar, open source system, university and
pdf documents. :-D

> I'll go back to my little embedded corner again and let you all get
> on . . .
> ;-)

Thank you for your suggestions.

Regards