Re: Where to mount a temporary partition in scripts?

On Sunday 25 March 2007, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Thomas Goirand <thomas@goirand.fr> writes:
> > Russ Allbery wrote:
> >> If I were you, I'd document in README.Debian how the administrator can
> >> mount the images in /xen (or perhaps /srv/xen) and perhaps provide
> >> some configuration that makes it simple for the sysadmin to do so.
> >> For the FHS reasons, it shouldn't be the default (perhaps the admin is
> >> already using /xen for something completely different), but if the
> >> admin *chooses* to put them there, there's no reason why you can't
> >> make it easy.
> >
> > Would you consider that asking for this path in Debconf would be a good
> > thing? That way I can ask if /xen should be used, right? (and maybe
> > default to /srv/xen as you suggested as it's better than
> > /a/way/too/far/in/the/tree)
>
> I think it depends on how likely you feel it is that the user of this
> package is going to want to customize the path.
>
> I think different people have different takes on this, but the way I look
> at Debconf questions is that they should be reserved for the stuff that
> essentially everyone installing the package is going to have to decide.

Differentiating among questions everyone has to see and other questions is
what the priority is for, from debconf-devel(7):

The priority field tells debconf how important it is that this question be
shown to the user. The priority values are:

  low    Very trivial items that have defaults that will work in the vast
         majority of cases; only control freaks see these.

  medium Normal items that have reasonable defaults.

  high   Items that don’t have a reasonable default.

  critical Items that will probably break the system without user
           intervention

> They're intrusive when installing multiple systems, they require special
> handling for unattended installs, and it gets rather annoying to page
> through screens of them.

questions shown on install are dependend on what the user has set as his
debconf-priority, so the amount of questions you get is configurable (and
default is high or above IIRC)

> Debian has generally reduced the number of Debconf questions one has to
> deal with in my experience, and I think that's a good thing.

s/debconf questions/high priority debconf questions/

> But if basically everyone using the package is
> going to need to make a decision, they're a good thing.
>
> I don't know the specifics of your package.  The impression I got was
> that a default somewhere in /var would be fine, just a little annoying.
> To me, that doesn't quite meet the bar for a Debconf question, even at
> low priority.  But it may be that directly accessing the images is way
> more common than the impression I got.

sounds like an candidate for a low priority debconf question to me
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)