Re: Where to mount a temporary partition in scripts?

Thomas Goirand <thomas@goirand.fr> writes:

> My package dtc-xen, needs to mount partitions of the Xen VMs for which
> it's doing the setup. Previously, it was creating a /xen folder, but an
> up-to-date lintian produces an error about /xen in debian/dirs.

> Where do you think it's the most appropriate place to do that? I like a
> LOT to use /xen (with /xen/01 /xen/02, etc.) because in production, it's
> very convenient, but I also understand that this is not very standard
> and that it should be changed.

One of the purposes of the FHS (which is where this warning is, at its
root, coming from) is to standardize and keep contained the parts of the
system that distributed packages will fiddle with so that they won't get
in the way of the admin.

If I were you, I'd document in README.Debian how the administrator can
mount the images in /xen (or perhaps /srv/xen) and perhaps provide some
configuration that makes it simple for the sysadmin to do so.  For the FHS
reasons, it shouldn't be the default (perhaps the admin is already using
/xen for something completely different), but if the admin *chooses* to
put them there, there's no reason why you can't make it easy.