Re: Where to mention, when several tarballs are merged into one .orig.tar.gz

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> writes:
> Daniel Leidert <daniel.leidert.spam@gmx.net> wrote:

>>> Definitely README.Debian; probably a good idea in "copyright", where you
>>> mention the download location.

> The Developers Reference gives several useful hints for this situation
> and suggests[1] to use a more specific file: README.Debian-source.

>   [1]
>   http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-best-pkging-practices.en.html
>   (§ 6.7.8.2, "Repackaged upstream source")

I still think that debian/copyright is a more natural location for this
information.  debian/copyright is where we're required to specify the
source of the upstream tarball.  Any customizations to the upstream
tarball seem to me to be part and parcel with specifying its source.
Plus, usually describing the repackaging only takes a sentence or maybe a
paragraph, which is a bit short to warrant a separate file.

I'll open a wishlist bug against developers-reference.