Re: Better to run multiple configure/make cycles or use separate sources?

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 05:53:44PM +0100, Roman Müllenschläder wrote:
> Hi List!
>
> I'm packaging a program which offers different options in using different
> compile options.
>
> My wish is to provide different binary-packages in the end.
>
> What should be done?
> Should I prepare the 'rules' to do different compilations with
> different 'configures' and separate the files with *.install files afterwards
You'll probably want to run "clean" too.

> or should I prepare separate sources each with it's own unique 'rules' doing
> just one compile and building only one binary each?
This has considerably more duplication of effort and is more error prone
than the first option.

> If the first, where can I find appropriate How-Tos?
I believe devref points to vim as an example of a multiple binary
package, with multiple compiles of the same thing.

Justin