alioth project creation problem

I'm trying to create a new project on alioth for a package that is
presently considered native Debian and that I have become the
maintainer for [mailcheck].

Unfortunately, alioth won't create the new project and instead gives
back the Error message:

    ERROR: Could not create group: ERROR: value too long for type
    character varying(255)

The project creation page is rather straightforward, so I don't
think I messing that up.  And I do have a legitimate alioth user-ID
that has worked for the last couple of years.  And I've even gone so
far as to try inputting a project name that is guaranteed to not be
previously registered.

Am I blind and missing something real basic, or does alioth have a
problem at the moment?

Thanks
Kevin

--