Re: Removing obsolete conffiles on upgrade

On Fre, 09 Feb 2007, Michael Biebl wrote:
> I have to get rid of the old conffile somehow (I formerly had two files
> foo and bar. In the new package version, the content of foo has been
> included in bar, so I want to get rid of foo, otherwise I get clashes).

Well the optimum solution is the following (all in preinst):

- If foo was unchanged from the original version (check md5sum) then
  just remove it
- otherwise *try* to merge the changes in foo into bar.
- if this is not possible, warn the admin that he has to manually update
  the settings in bar according to what he has done in foo.

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>                    Università di Siena
`What's been happening here?' he demanded.
`Oh just the nicest things, sir, just the nicest things.
can I sit on your lap please?'
`Colin, I am going to abandon you to your fate.'
`I'm so happy.'
`It will be very, very nasty for you, and that's just too
bad. Got it?'
`I gurgle with pleasure.'
                 --- Ford and Colin the robot.