A problem with dh_strip

Dear mentors,

I am trying to create a Debian package for the Pict programming language.

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/papers/pict/Html/Pict.html

The package itself is here
http://altair.dcs.elf.stuba.sk/~kosik/debian/pool/main/p/pict/pict_4.1.0-1.dsc

I have successfully built it within pbuilder environment. However, I
have observed a weird behavior of the binary when I let dh_strip it.

The binary is installed into
/usr/lib/pict/pict

(the /usr/bin/pict is only a script that calls the binary with pre-set
environment variables required by the original software)

The original and the dh_stripped versions of the binary differ
- the original does recognize the `--help' option,
  the dh_stripped does not recognize it
- when I run the original binary without any parameters, it complains
  "You must specify exactly one input file"
  whereas the dh_stripped bersion prints something else.
- and other things

<SPECULATION>
Major part of the orignal binary is compiled from OCAML sources so maybe
there is some specific error behavior of dh_strip related to these kind
of binaries.
</SPECULATION>

I would welcome any helping hand with this problem.

Thanks in advance
--
Matej Kosik