Re: Building docbook manpages

Am Samstag, den 03.02.2007, 17:04 +0900 schrieb Charles Plessy:
> Le Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 01:57:21AM +0100, Daniel Leidert a écrit :
> > >
> > > xsltproc -o debian/ -''-nonet /usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/nwalsh/manpages/docbook.xsl debian/themanpage.1.xml
> >
> > This command will lead to problems with special characters. Have a look
> > at /usr/share/doc/docbook-xsl/examples/foo.1.example_manpage.xml.gz. for
> > an up-to-data example and the recommended command. The latest release
> > (1.72.0, currently preparing the package) also adds support for
> > dh_installman features (see the upcoming documentation of
> > man.output.lang.in.name.enabled or bug #310895).
>
> > > I think I will switch to xmlto.
> >
> > AFAIK xmlto simply uses the docbook-xsl stylesheets (but it uses the
> > already removed the passivetex extension to create PDF, which is not a
> > good idea). Not sure, if you can overhand parameters to xmlto via
> > command line (maybe with the [-m xsl_fragment] option?).
>
> Thank you very much for the example manpage. I was wondering wether
> xmlto would be a nice way to factorise some code across debian/rules and
> debian/control files, but if I understand correctly, calling xsltproc
> directly is better because it is needed to set parameters.

It depends. I could imagine (but didn't test it), that the [-m
xsl_fragment] option can do this. The alternative is to write you own
small xsl stylesheet to set parameters. But if I understand your
intentions correctly, this is what you want to avoid.

> By the way,
> where are these parameters documented,

The parameters are described in the documentation provided with
docbook-xsl-doc (and upcoming docbook-xsl-doc-(html|pdf|text)). Just
start a browser and view
file:///usr/share/doc/docbook-xsl/doc/index.html -> "Manpages Parameter
Reference".

> and where can I get the relevant
> informations for "those who care about xml manpages"?

IMO there is only some general information in
http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/docbook.html and probably in
http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl. The rest is learning by doing :)

Regards, Daniel