Re: Re: RFS: ballview : new package version

Le Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 02:17:08PM +0100, Andreas Moll a écrit :

> >If the scripts are intended to be used on other platforms, how about
> >moving them out of the debian directory, in the upstream sources?
> Well these scripts are in the upstream sources (see debian-upstream dir)
> and when I want to create a source package, they are copied to the
> debian directory. With this procedure future downstream autors can
> modify them to their liking.

Hi,

Sorry if I missed something obvious, but why not calling it directly
from the sources instead of duplicating it in /debian ?

> I will reduce the set of supported architecures in the control file to:
> Architecture: i386 amd64 ia64 sparc
> I guess that a package does not have to support all arches, or am I wrong?

The policy says that restricting architecture support should only be
used when the program is not portable. I think that is not the case of
BALLview. There is at least one more architecture on which it would be
definitely useful: powerpc. For slow architectures on which it does not
make sense to do some structural biology, it is still the responsability
of their lead developpers to decide that a package should not build. So
if it only requires to fix the configure script to support all Debian
arches, I would say: go for it!

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/footnotes.html#f31

> In roughly half an hour I will upload a corrected version of the package
> with the above fixes.

Also note that there are options which you can give to dpkg-buildpackage
so that it builds the sources without building the binaries. As your
package is very long to build, it can be very useful, for instance to
add support to the other arches ;)

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy