Re: How to drop a package from some architectures?

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:36:20 -0600
Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz <rodrigo@nul-unu.com> wrote:

> Upstream's response to #361376 is to recommend the dropping of
> liferea-gtkhtml from 64bit arches. How does one go about that?

My reading of the bug report is that one component of the package is
not going to be fixed on 64bit architectures and that a replacement
should be used instead. That isn't quite the same as marking a source
package as only building on a specific set of architectures.

Are there particular reasons not to migrate the entire package to the
replacement on all architectures?

Forcing a package to only be available on specific architectures is not
something to be done lightly - wherever possible, support for all
architectures should be maintained. It's not a GoodThing to just drop
certain architectures because upstream can't fix the bug. There appears
to be a workaround that should work for all architectures - that would
be a better solution overall, IMHO.

--

Neil Williams