Re: SVN snapshot versioning

"Andrew Donnellan" <ajdlinux@gmail.com> wrote:

> So for a snapshot of revision 91 between stable version 2.0 and future
> version 2.1, would something like:
>    2.1~20070123svn.r91
>
> be OK?

Ah, so now that we have this '~' allowed by dpkg, we have to use it
everywhere?

You cannot predict the future. It might me that next version is not 2.1
as you expected, but, e.g., 3.0. Why not base your version number on
things you *know* for sure: that the last released version was 2.0?

Therefore, I'd suggest something like 2.0+20070123svn.r91 (or without
the date, for those who don't like it---personally, I find it useful,
even if not atomic-precise; OK, since some of you want to nitpick with
timezones here, the correct solution while keeping the date would be
more like 2.0+svn.r91.20070123, to ensure that package versions are
sorted based on the SVN revision and not the date).

This has two more advantages:
  - '+' has a somewhat intuitive meaning here (which '~' definitely
    doesn't have): what you're packaging is version 2.0 "plus" (enhanced
    with) some more changes that are found in SVN revision 91, which was
    commited about 2007-01-23.
  - works with older dpkg.

--
Florent