Re: SVN snapshot versioning

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 10:40:03AM +1100, Andrew Donnellan wrote:
> Hi mentors,
>
> I'm currently creating a package for the Jabber/VoIP client Jabbin
> which I requested sponsorship for earlier, however I am redoing the
> package from scratch and have decided that it is better to package
> snapshots from SVN rather than the not-exactly-stable releases.
>
> What is the preferred versioning scheme for SVN snapshots? On p.d.o
> I've seen various schemes, including things like
> 1:01.03.00.99.svn.300, 0.9.2+r1842.20061207 and 0.11.1+svn-r3965. Is
> it just a matter of personal preference?

I guess it depends.  If there has been no "stable" release with a
version number, then something like 20070112svn is what I would use for
the upstream version.  Personally, I would stay away from using rev
numbers since they are meaningless to anyone not intimately familiar
with development of that package.

For something that has had stable releases and you are packaging
snapshots between releases, I would do something 1.1.15~20070112svn for
the upstream version.

Regards,

-Roberto

--