Re: RFS: Legends: The Game

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 13:01:29 +1100
"Tim Hessint" <tim.hessint@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Why do you insist on creating that package then? If it is included in
> > the distribution, you'll have to take care of it - fix bugs etc. Some
> > of these tasks will be very hard if you don't use the package...
>
> Because we have a lot of users new to linux that struggle with any
> command line tasks. When this happens I'm usually the one that has to
> walk them through the install process and installing video drivers.

Makes it even more important that you are using the Debian package on a
Debian box so that you can see what the bug report is all about. Adding
a package to Debian is more than just uploading it, you will be
responsible for it as the maintainer. If you seek to simply "get the
package into Debian" and then abandon it, there is no reason for Debian
to include it in the first place.

> We're making distro packages to get more exposure and make installation easier.

Insufficient excuse. All Debian packages have an identified maintainer
who is responsible for fixing Debian bugs as well as upstream bugs. You
cannot simply use Debian as an upload destination.

If you will not maintain the package yourself then you can submit an
RFP bug to the wnpp pseudo-package. This is a request for someone to
package the software for you and then maintain it as well. Whether the
package ever gets uploaded from that is a matter of whether someone is
sufficiently interested in the package to maintain it within Debian.

Whichever way, there has to be someone using the Debian package on a
Debian box who is responsible for fixing the Debian package. There are
quite enough "vanity" packages and other abandonware in the archive
without adding another.

> Newbie question: How do I get my replies to indent at the proper
> level? I click on "Reply to: debian-mentors@lists.debian.org"

Reply to the message, don't start a new thread by clicking anything in
the message headers.

--

Neil Williams