Re: Build-Depends-Indep and build target

I demand that Joachim Reichel may or may not have written...

>> The underlying problem is that build-arch/indep are not mandatory and thus
>> building must call the "build" target.

> Any chance that this will be changed for lenny? If build-arch and
> build-indep are optional and there is no reliable way to find out whether
> these targets exist [...]

This, perhaps?

  if make -f debian/rules -n build-arch; then
    make -f debian/rules build-arch
  else
    make -f debian/rules build
  fi

Then there's the problem of which targets (in the upstream makefile) should
be run from build-{arch,indep}. I don't see any obvious targets for splitting
up the building in this way in a typical automake-generated makefile (I
checked both xine-lib and gxine), which would appear to make
build-{arch,indep} pointless in this case, and would also provide an
explanation of why these targets are not mandatory.

[snip]
| + Output less CO2 => avoid boiling weather.     TIME IS RUNNING OUT *FAST*.

"Mind your own business, Spock. I'm sick of your halfbreed interference."