Re: Build-Depends-Indep and build target

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>
>> The underlying problem is that build-arch/indep are not mandatory and
>> thus building must call the "build" target.
>
> This makes sense, thanks for pointing it out.
>
>> If build-indep does take a considerable time then you can use the
>> following hack:
>
> Indeed, it should work, but is rather ugly; I'd rather see Policy
> amended to make build-arch and build-indep mandatory.
>
> --
> Florent

The problem with that is that any package not having a build-* target
becomes instantly RC buggy. Some people are opposed to makeing that
big a spike in the RC graph. And DDs are too lazy to add the optional
build-* targets to prepare for them to become required.

Maybe after etch we could create enough of a group to force buil-*
targets in and damn the RC count. Let the buildds call build-arch and
fail any new upload without the targets and 6 month later fix the
stragglers. I don't see it as a problem to break things that way given
that the simple addition of '%' to the build target will fix the
problem for those too lazy to write build-arch/indep targets.

MfG
        Goswin