Re: changelog entries - ubuntu?

"Kevin Coyner" <kevin@rustybear.com> wrote in message [🔎] 20061214121319.GD22385@rustybear.com">news:[🔎] 20061214121319.GD22385@rustybear.com...

During a recent upgrade of my Debian Sid box,  I noticed the
following changelog entry:

f-spot (0.2.2-0ubuntu1) feisty; urgency=low

 * Update to 0.2.2 upstream

Perhaps I've already missed a discussion on this. If so, I'd
appreciate a link/pointer so that I can read up.  But if not, then
are their guidelines or policy statements somewhere that explain
how and when Ubuntu releases are incorporated into Debian?

That is interesting. If that is followed by annother ubuntu changlog entry
it makes perfect sense. Otherwise, it seems a bit odd that a simple
update of upstream would be done by reincorporating an ubuntu new upstream patch.
Perfectly valid, but a bit odd.

In other cases, it makes good sense.
The Ubuntu changlog format is the same as Debian's so they should not cause
problems for changlog reading tools. Therefore incorportaing changes made in ubuntu should in many cases be virtually identical to acknowlinging an NMU. (In that case you would normally
leave the NMU'ers changlog information in the changelog).