Re: netcdf packages

Hi Warren,

Warren Turkal wrote:
> I have worked tonight to produce new netcdf packages for the
> NetCDF libraries. They are located at [1]. I would like some feedback
> on them. They are based on cdbs.
> [2] is a link to a WNPP bug about this package. I would like to
> adopt the package, if possible.

i can not sponsor your upload because I am not a DD, but i may provide
you some hints:

* Remove all files from debian/ with .ex ending. They are example files
and if you don't need them, then you should not include them. If you
need them, then rename and edit them and whatever it needs to do further.

* debian/rules
 * : Remove the unneeded extra line at EOF
 * : I don't know much about your package but is
 configure parameter --enable-64bit right? You will not build for 64bit
systems only in debian imho
 * Personally i would use 'install -d' to create directories while
building and get rid of those .dirs files which do contain standard
directories only

* debian/*.dirs: Seee above rules comment
* debian/copyright:
 * According to debian policy 12.5 you *must* "say where the upstream
sources (if any) were obtained"
 * You "should name the original authors of the package and the Debian
maintainer(s) who were involved with its creation"
 * IMO you should mention the ones who previous did packaging
 * The lines at the end of the file seem to be unnecessary

* debian/changelog:
 * Should contain changelog entries of previous debian versions
 * Must contain a notice that you are new maintainer

Further notes:
It sounds a bit strange that your package has a version -beta-pre. I'm
not sure if you really want to package a pre-beta (what actually is an
alpha version in my sense). Also i don't like cdbs much. IMO it makes
packages / packages build process unclearly.

Best Regards

Patrick