Re: Opinions on CDBS amongst sponsors

Hi,

Neil Williams wrote:
> What are the problems with CDBS (apart from debian/control automation)?

my biggest problem about CDBS is the obscurity it adds to packages.
Example: You are a new-time debian developer. You want to adopt a
package that is already in Debian using cdbs. Now you have a
debian/rules files with some includes and some unclearly further rules.
To find out what actually happens when building is done, you will have
to have worked a lot with CDBS to understand what actually happens, when
building or you need to tackle with the include files to find it out.

This is not to hypothetical though. I was in interest several month ago
to adopt a package which used CDBS and was poorly maintained. In fact i
did resign to that, because it was to obscure for me and that time i
wasn't too interested to figure out how to change it.

Best Regards

Patrick