Re: Opinions on CDBS amongst sponsors

On 2006-12-11, Neil Williams <linux@codehelp.co.uk> wrote:
> What are the problems with CDBS (apart from debian/control automation)?

The biggest problem are the layers of obscurity added by cdbs and the
fact that the best docs are diving into the source.

(and the fact that there has been some cdbs revisions that had broken
other packages because changes wasn't 100% well thought)

People have told me that until you have read and understood the cdbs
classes you use, you should not use cdbs. I do not disagree much on
that.

As new package maintainer, you need to know what happens and shouldn't
use cdbs to hide what is really going on.

CDBS does also have its advantages somewhere  -  the use of a common
system for larger stuff instead of all people inventing their own
different build-abstraction-layer.

/Sune