Re: RFC: AKFQuiz

On Monday 27 November 2006 19:13, Andreas K. Foerster wrote:
> Am Sonntag, dem 26. Nov 2006 schrieb George Danchev:
> > Anyway, I can do some test for you,
> > when I have the time to do so and if the debootstrap'ed system
> > is still not a feasible option for you.
>
> That would be nice. Thank you.

ok, this builds flawlessly --with-fpc, and fails on another one of similar
type --with-gpc:

gpc --automake --executable-file-name -Wall -Wno-identifier-case -O3 -s -D
SDL -D Transitional -D scrNoEscKey scrquiz.pas
scrquiz.pas: In function `askfile':
scrquiz.pas:1013: error: reference expected, value given
scrquiz.pas:1015: error: reference expected, value given
make[1]: *** [scrquiz] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/danchev/download/akfquiz-4.4.0/srcbin'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I believe gpc is just plain wrong, but OTOH it supports all architectures
available in Debian, so if you ask me I'll go for tweaking the code after it.

If you want me to perform more compile tests for you please contact me
off-list, for plain packaging questions please keep posting to this list.

> I'll have a look at debootstrap.
> But downloading a full system is really a problem for me.
> Even if it's just the base.

... or just upgrade your gpc and fpc packages on your main system to
streamline and tweak certain parts of your code after them ;-)

> > I'd also explicitely mention in Suggests: field the webserver packages
> > which can work with it, instead of the virtual package of httpd.
>
> Done.
> But it should run with any webserver, that is reasonably compatible with
> the CGI/1.1 specification - but thttpd isn't.
> Are there other webservers I should try?

`apt-get install httpd' and you'll all the `live' packages which provide
webserver functionality (`httpd' is a virtual one), and if you want you might
try your programs against each of them.

Another thought you might want to consider is the usage of executables with
too generic names and the possibility of current and future file name
clashes. Cgiquiz sounds too generic to me and is probably not the only
program with such a name, therefore I would suggest to prefix all of your
programs with a namespace of `akf' or similar, i.e. `akfcgiquiz' and so on.

> > Type of package: single binary, multiple binary, library, kernel module
> > or cdbs?
> >  [s/m/l/k/b]
>
> Yes, that much is also explained in the New Maintainers' Guide, but it
> warns newbies (which I am) to use it.
> Okay... I'm going to experiment with it...
> Next week.

Don't forget to cleanup superfluous files and rows after dh_make ;-)

Otherwise the package looks correct to me.

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB