Re: RFC: AKFQuiz (was: new here)

On Sunday 26 November 2006 22:04, Andreas K. Foerster wrote:
--cut--
> > - My guess is you are not building the binaries in a sid environment. You
> > must do that. Actually you should build in pbuilder. In the process, you
> > will be setting up a chroot, that you can also use to run the right
> > lintian and linda.
>
> I might not be able to do that. I have no broadband Internet connection,
> but only a slow, expensive dialup connection. :-(

In that case you might find debootstrap package useful to create your chroot
environment once, then chroot into it and just upgrade it as usual before
testing your packages inside it, instead of downloading the whole base system
+ build-dependencies over and over again. Anyway, I can do some test for you,
when I have the time to do so and if the debootstrap'ed system is still not a
feasible option for you.

> May I ask you, or somebody here to build it for me?
> ...when it is time to do that.

Sure, I'm using Sid and here is a mild compile issue:

/usr/bin/make
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/hdb7/akfquiz-4.4.0'
/usr/bin/make -C srcbin
make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/hdb7/akfquiz-4.4.0/srcbin'
binobj errorsnd.ub errorsnd.o ErrorSound
binobj infosnd.ub infosnd.o InfoSound
binobj introsnd.ub introsnd.o IntroSound
binobj rightsnd.ub rightsnd.o RightSound
binobj wrongsnd.ub wrongsnd.o WrongSound
binobj neutralsnd.ub neutralsnd.o NeutralSound
gpc --automake --executable-file-name -Wall -Wno-identifier-case -O3 -s -D
SDL -D Transitional -D scrNoEscKey scrquiz.pas
qmsgs.pas: In procedure `useSystemLanguage':
qmsgs.pas:670: error: reference expected, value given
gpc1: gpc exited with status 1
make[2]: *** [scrquiz] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/hdb7/akfquiz-4.4.0/srcbin'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/hdb7/akfquiz-4.4.0'
make: *** [build-stamp] Error 2

Seems to be easy to fix, though...

> Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 4.0.0), gpc (>= 4:3.3.5-3), libncurses5-dev,
> libsdl1.2-dev

We have `dpkg-checkbuilddeps' for that purpose; it is in the dpkg-dev package.

> There seems to be no backport of lintian.
>
> > - Your README.Debian assumes a webserver is installed. Mention the cgi
> > script and the http://localhost/... adress make sense only with a
> > webserver installed.
>
> As you may have seen, my package has several programs in it.
> Since I think the CGI program is not the most important one, the package
> not "Depends" on a webserver, but it "Recommends" one.
>
> | Recommends: xdialog, apache | boa | httpd

I'd go for Suggests: , since Recommneds: it too strong dependency relationship
for that case.

> Is that okay that way?
> I've successfully tested it with apache and boa.
> The server thttpd did not work.

I'd also explicitely mention in Suggests: field the webserver packages which
can work with it, instead of the virtual package of httpd.

> The program xdialog is needed for diaquiz, which I also consider as
> secondary.
>
> Maybe it would be better to make multiple packages from the source tree.
> But I'd need help for that. The New Maintainers' Guide doesn't teach
> that... Where can I read about it?

Install dh-make package and read dh_make(8) -- it can create multiple binary
class package for you. Here is an example:

@sid:$ mkdir akfquiz-4.4.0
@sid:$ cd akfquiz-4.4.0/
@sid:$ dh_make -f ../akfquiz_4.4.0.orig.tar.gz

Type of package: single binary, multiple binary, library, kernel module or
cdbs?
 [s/m/l/k/b]

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB