Re: pbuilder problem

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 22:42:55 +0000
James Westby <jw+debian@jameswestby.net> wrote:
> On (23/11/06 23:18), Luca Bedogni wrote:
> > When i launch pbuilder on another package that uses my library-package i got
> > that he can't use the include. I use the package from a local repository.

> You say you have the package in a local repository, is that repository
> in the sources.list *inside* the pbuilder chroot? Does the package that
> uses the binary package build-depend on it? Does the package get
> installed?

pbuilder is meant to simulate how a package would be built by the
buildd processes after a package is uploaded to Debian - as such, it is
important that you don't tamper with the sources.list inside the
pbuilder chroot too much. In particular, if you add a specific
repository to the sources.list in the chroot, you should remember to
remove it before trying to build a different package and watch the
build logs carefully so that the "non-standard" repository is only used
for this specific package. For similar reasons, you should not simply
install the library into the chroot - that would make it available to
(and possibly interfere with) all builds using that chroot.

Also, this dependency will have to be resolved before the other package
can be uploaded to Debian - the library will have to be uploaded first
and it's probably best to leave at least a few days after uploading the
library before uploading the package that requires the library so that
the library itself is built properly on each architecture before the
package tries to build.

That said, there is an argument that it's not good to have libraries
which are only used by one package. If you aren't expecting other
packages to start using the library without using the application,
perhaps you shouldn't create a library package at all? Just bundle the
library into the application package.

--

Neil Williams