Re: Question: piuparts and mysql-server

Hello Kevin,

On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 16:06 -0500, Kevin Coyner wrote:
> Here's the catch:  I presently have mysql-server listed as a
> Recommends: because mysql can be run on another box other than the
> localhost.  This seems to be the approach of many similar packages
> like drupal, diogenes.  O.k.

Yes, this is correc.

> So if mysql-server is a Recommends:, then running piuparts will
> always fail.  Is this just a limitation of piuparts?

I wonder why your installation fails without a MySQL server available. I
could go into details about the way you configure databases, but the
following question seems more appropriate: why don't you use
dbconfig-common as the way to configure your database?

It concentrates code for packages wanting to configure databases into
one place, making sure such issues as these are not solved again and
again for every package.

Thijs