Re: Homepage in debian/control (was: RFS: queuegraph (take two))

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:33:38 +0200, martin f krafft wrote:

> also sprach Tobias Klauser <tklauser@access.unizh.ch> [2006.08.31.1403 +0200]:
>>   We recommend that you add the URL for the package's home page to the
>>   package description in debian/control. This information should be added
>>   at the end of description, using the following format:
>>         .
>>          Homepage: http://some-project.some-place.org/
>>
>>   Note the spaces prepending the line, which serves to break the lines
>>   correctly.
>>
>> So this seems to be correct in Conall's package. Or am I understanding
>> this wrong?
>
> No, you seem to have it right and I am wrong. I wonder what the
> justification/technical reason for this is. I wonder which lines
> aren't broken correctly otherwise...
>
> Anyone?

My understanding is that it two spaces tell tools displaying package
descriptions to display the line verbatim; without it, the tools may
wrap the URL if it is too long or otherwise screw it up.

--
Sam Morris
http://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 1024D/5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078