Re: Homepage in debian/control (was: RFS: queuegraph (take two))

On 8/31/06, martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:
>   We recommend that you add the URL for the package's home page to the
>   package description in debian/control. This information should be added
>   at the end of description, using the following format:
>         .
>          Homepage: http://some-project.some-place.org/
>
>   Note the spaces prepending the line, which serves to break the lines
>   correctly.
No, you seem to have it right and I am wrong. I wonder what the
justification/technical reason for this is. I wonder which lines
aren't broken correctly otherwise...
Anyone?

This has been discussed before.

The justification sucks.  The only justification is that in this way,
some tools (like packages.debian.org) can write this in <pre></pre>
format instead of the usual characters.

Example of double space: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/web/wml
Example of single space: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/electronics/uisp

I personally like the second format much better (and that's why I
don't add the extra space).

The good solution for this would be to prepare the patch for dpkg that
adds Homepage as a field and be done with it... But it seems nobody is
really interested in that.

--
Besos,
Marga