Re: Override disparity

Hello Russ,

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> Thibaut Paumard <paumard@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>
>> Which leads us to this question: do *-doc packages belong in section
>> doc, or in whatever the main package is (science, in this case)?
>
> I prefer putting them in the same section as the main package so that
> people browsing by section in aptitude will actually see them.

I don't like this philosophie. This way packages end up in libs they
don't include any lib:
% dpkg -s opensyncutils | grep \^Sec
Section: libs

For tools like deborphan it is really hard to detect unneeded packages
and suggest them for removal. But in another discussion someone
suggested to drop the section model and use debtags for sorting the
packages.

> But documentation is frequently just what new users want, and new users
> are the ones who frequently won't know to look in some other section or
> use apt-cache to search for a separate doc package.

But packages with documentation are named foo-doc with places them in a
sorted list behind the package foo. They should see them. And foo
should suggest foo-doc.

Regards, Jörg.
--
Wer A sagt, muß nicht B sagen. Er kann auch erkennen, daß A falsch war.
      	    	      	       	       	    	(Erich Kästner)