Re: RFS: tstat

This one time, at band camp, Charles Plessy said:
> Le Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 11:20:35AM +0200, Adam Borowski a écrit :
> > On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 08:21:47AM -0700, tony mancill wrote:
> > >   3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
> > >      must display the following acknowledgement:
> > >        This product includes software developed by Endace Technology Ltd.,
> > >        Hamilton, New Zealand, and its contributors.
> > >   4. Neither the name of Endace Technology nor the names of its contributors
> > >      may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
> > >      without specific prior written permission.
> >
> > This is exactly the wording of the 4-clause BSD license, with just the name
> > of UC Berkeley replaced with Endace.  It's thus DFSG-free, even though it's
> > strongly discouraged.
>
> Dear Adam,
>
> Last week-end I was told by a DD that the 4-clause BSD licence was
> non-free... Do you have any link in the archives which proves the
> contrary? This is very interesting for me as I am interested in bringing
> to Debian an unofficial package whose software is under this licence...

Have a look at the DFSG.  It explicitly uses the BSD license as an
example of a free license.  At the time that statement was written,
there was no 3 clause BSD - that is a later amendment.  Anyone trying to
tell you the 4 clause BSD license in non-free is wrong.  There are
problems with it, and it can't be combined with GPL'ed code, and that
might be what your informant was thinking of.  But it is certainly free
by Debian standards.