Re: RFS: subclipse (bug #238733) and related

On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 09:56:18PM +0700, Ivan Dubrov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a sponsor for subclipse (ITP: #238733) and several related
> packages (cdbs-eclipse is used for building the subclipse package itself and
> other packages are libraries used by subclipse). All packages pass
> lintian/linda check. Their licenses look DFSG-compliant to me.
>
> The packages are available from the following APT source:
> deb http://debian-eclipse.wfrag.org/debian sid main
>
> The .changes files are available from here:
> http://debian-eclipse.wfrag.org/debian/dists/unstable/installed/
>
> The packages descriptions:
>
> - cdbs-eclipse (Eclipse PDE Build extension for CDBS)
>
>  cdbs-eclipse provides make scripts to build Eclipse features and
>  plugins using the Eclipse PDE Build system. These scripts extend
>  the Common Debian Build System.
>  .
>  Homepage http://debian-eclipse.wfrag.org/tracpy/wiki/PdeBuild

Please discuss cdbs-eclipse with the Eclipse maintainers on
debian-java@lists.debian.org. I know that I'm one of the them but this
list is inappropriate for this talk. Furthermore I would like to see
this functionality directly in cdbs package and not some package
depending on cdbs.

> - ganymed-ssh2
>
>  Ganymed SSH2 for Java is a library which implements the SSH2 protocol in pure
>  Java. It allows one to connect to SSH servers from within Java programs. It
>  supports SSH sessions (remote command execution and shell access), local port
>  forwarding, local stream forwarding, and SCP. There are no dependencies on any
>  JCE provider, as all crypto functionality is included.
>  .
>  Ganymed SSH2 for Java  was originally developed for the Ganymed replication
>  project and a couple of other projects at the IKS group at ETH Zurich.
>  .
>  Homepage: http://www.ganymed.ethz.ch/ssh2/
>

> - javasvn (a pure Java Subversion client library)
>
>  This library can be used to access or modify Subversion repository from the
>  pure Java application, be it a standalone program plugin or web application.
>  JavaSVN does not require any configuration or native binaries.
>  .
>  Homepage: http://tmate.org/svn/
>

> - svnclientadapter (high-level Java API for Subversion
>
>  Subversion is a version control system much like the Concurrent Versions
>  System (CVS). Version control systems allow many individuals (who may be
>  distributed geographically) to collaborate on a set of files (typically
>  source code).  Subversion has all the major features of CVS, plus certain
>  new features that CVS users often wish they had.
>  .
>  SVNClientAdapter is easier Java API for Subversion and is used by Subclipse.
>  It can use one of 2 low-level Subversion client implementations to provide
>  access to the Subversion repository:
>   * JavaHL (JNI), Subversion library
>   * JavaSVN, pure Java Subversion client
>   * Command line Subversion client
>  .
>  Homepage: http://subclipse.tigris.org/
>

> - subclipse (Eclipse Team Provider for Subversion version control system)
>
>  Subclipse is an Eclipse Team Provider for the Subversion version control
>  system.
>  .
>  Homepage: http://subclipse.tigris.org

It's great to see this stuff packaged. Our preference is to have this
working with GCJ/java-gcj-compat. Have you tested the packages with free
runtimes? We support non-free runtimes but these are not our main
targets. I know SSL support is partly broken on free runtimes but I work
on fixing it. Any help appreciated.

When all these issues are discussed and probably changed/fixed I will be
happy to sponsor the packages. Another good idea is to put the stuff
into the Debain Java maintainers SVN repository to have all packages in
one place.

Cheers,
Michael
--