Re: How can I help Debian best?

On Tuesday 13 June 2006 19:05, Christian Hütter wrote:
> Hello Bas,
>
> thank you very much for your kind and informative reply.
>
> > I think Debian can be a benefit for the free software community by being
> > as complete as possible (in terms of free software)
>
> That is a very good point I didn't consider so far when reading the
> Social Contract; I will have to rethink about it once more.
>
> My question about the time needed for the "debianization process" arised
> from my study of the New Maintainers' Guide and the Debian Policy Manual
> when I actually only intended to build a package for the mentioned
> program (it is a daemon which may execute a command written in a config
> file; therefore I decided to create a new user/group to prevent the
> worst. A task I didn't want a "normal" user have to bother about too
> much). These manuals were so overwhelming that I was afraid that the
> packaging process (if done for the "real" distro) actually may take more
> time than the planing and implementation together. After what you said,
> this isn't the case, though (what a relief).

Well, there is a plethora of helper packaging tools which will save your time
for the usual and boring tasks, although you should be aware of what is going
on below your feet ;-) Check the Debian Developer's Reference to find some of
them, but unfortunately not all of them are being mentioned there yet. That
is the "best developer's practices document", while the Debian Policy is the
normative one you should be compliant with. If in doubt you can also ask on
-mentors, or start off with co-maintaining a neglected package together with
a more experienced debian developer.

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB