Re: optional building of a package

On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 01:46:35PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> I am working on packaging probcons, which consists of two main programs
> carrying the core functionalities, and a few other programs with
> ambiguous names (convert, makegunplut, project) which will not be useful
> to the vast majority of users. The upstream author advised me to drop
> them from the package, which I will do.
>
> However, I was wondering wether it would make sense to provide to the
> Debian user a mean to install the extra programs from the Debian sources.
> Is there a way to make the source package able to produce a
> probcons-extra package, but only optionaly?

You *can* create a package optionally (have some sort of build-time option
to enable passing the package name to all the relevant debhelper rules), but
I'd build the binaries normally, and probably rename them so they're
non-conflicting.  You *could* put them in /usr/lib/<pkg>, perhaps, but that
just seems... weird.

Of course, if upstream says "don't include them", they're obviously not
particularly useful, in which case you probably don't need to put them in
the package at all.

- Matt