Re: How to include information about a source package ?

Justin Pryzby <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

>   http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-best-pkging-practices.en.html#s-repackagedorigtargz

Hm.  I'm noticing more and more that the Developer's Reference says stuff
that I've never heard anywhere else and don't remember from reading it
before.  It may be that I just paid a lot more attention to Policy and
missed some bits in the Developer's Reference.

There's a lot of stuff in there, like this:

 4. should use <packagename>-<upstream-version>.orig as the name of the
    top-level directory in its tarball. This makes it possible to
    distinguish pristine tarballs from repackaged ones. +

that feels very ugly and ad hoc.  I'm not a fan of encouraging these kinds
of heuristics, particularly when they're not widely followed in the
archive at the moment and therefore not particularly useful to apply.

Anyway, I'd rather state, in plain English, in debian/copyright exactly
what I removed from the upstream source and why, and then automate that
removal in a get-orig-source target in debian/rules.  Once I've done both
of those things, I don't see the point of an additional
README.Debian-source file.

> I think ./debian/copyright is relevant, and for saods9 I have made
> mention in both places.  I feel that it should be a machine readable
> copy, too, even if the comments are extra-descriptive.  But this is kind
> of a PITA to do in practice, *especially* for a sponsored upload.  The
> instructions for a sponsor would look like:

>   . open the .diff.gz in vim
>   . cut out the README.Debian-source and get rid of the prefixing +'s
>     (and perhaps ./debian/rules too)
>   . mkdir debian
>   . mv README.Debian-source ./debian/
>   . chmod 755 ./debian/*
>   . ./debian/rules get-orig-source
>   . mv -iv ./newsource/saods9_*.orig.tar.gz ../
>   . mv -iv saods9_*.diff.gz ../
>   . tar xzf ../saods9_*.orig.tar.gz
>   . zcat ../saods9_*.diff.gz |patch -p1

> which is about 10 items more than anyone sponsoring the pacakge will
> want to deal with.  I tried to include that in the README.Debian-source,
> but have given up for now.

I don't understand.  Why would a sponsor do all of that rather than just
obtaining your source package, studying the get-orig-source target,
running the get-orig-source target, and then comparing the resulting
.orig.tar.gz file with the one that came with your source package to make
sure that they're identical?  I don't think I'm following what you're
getting at with the above or why editing of the .diff.gz would be
required.